~~~~~~~~~~~~~~RAIN DOG'S BLOG~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crack - what the hee-el is that!


Yep that is my strong language, but a gal gets a little excited when her beautiful vessel has a bo bo.
I was kayaking this morning enjoying the beautiful blue sky when my eyes light upon the prettiest boat in the marina....Ocean Girl, man oh man is she pretty! I decided to row around her a bit and take a look at her waterline and especially the bobstay fittings. I found this at the base of the bowsprit that meets the fbg of the bow. I don't know what would cause this, her bobstay isn't too tight, in fact I think her rigging is a bit loose. The new bowsprit is clear with no signs of stress. That area of the bow is so thick and strong with a big honkin steel plate glassed into the triangular nook of the bow. I will explore further but she should be fine. If the are is ok and stable, I will simply put some epoxy to waterproof the area and leave it.. but dang I wonder what the hee-el caused that?
If it was caused by an outside force it was probable the valliant across the way hit her, they are new to sailing and have had some close calls to OG bow. But OG has no other marks on her, if she was struck I think there would be other signs. Anyways, other than that Ocean Girl is coming along nicely. My volvo parts should be here in a couple weeks, she should be sailable once the engine is back in service.

2 comments:

Alexandra aka mom said...

Ah, now I see what you are talking about. Tigger had cracks like that after she got older,right in that spot. In fact, I have a few like that myself. Doesn't take away from her beauty or personality - say "no, it doesn't" so I don't get a complex.

Ken n Cheryl said...

Finding a new "bo bo" on your boat always makes your heart stop for a second. Glad it's nothing serious.